Dr. Ambrosoli Memorial Hospital is the only Hospital in Agago District. It serves as general hospital receiving patients from Agago and adjourning districts. The Hospital has gradually gained a high reputation in the fields of maternal and surgical services so that it is also receiving intern doctors for the disciplines of Surgery and Obstetrics & Gynaecology. Dr. Ambrosoli Memorial Hospital is a general rural hospital with 271 bed capacity distributed through 5 wards: Medical, Surgical, TB, Maternity and Paediatrics.
In the FY 2015-2016 it provided services to 28,883 outpatients and 22,274 inpatients. Out of the 9,719 deliveries in Agago District, 35.7% (3,465) were in the hospital with a total of 315 caesarean sections. A comprehensive HIV/AIDS programme is also run with 2,952 patients involved. Moreover, Dr. Ambrosoli Memorial Hospital is the laboratory hub and head of the Agago Health SubDistrict. In this capacity, it supervises a total of 40 Lower Level Units (LLUs).

In 1944 the Comboni Missionary Sisters arrived in Kalongo bringing the first organized healthcare and starting a small dispensary in a grass hut. This grass hut rapidly developed into maternity and medical units, and with the arrival of Father Dr. Giuseppe Ambrosoli in 1956 a hospital was established. The Hospital is a Private Not For Profit Health provider, it registers annually with the Medical and Dental Practitioners Council and is approved to operate under section 121 (1) of the Public Health Ordinance since the 20th of June 1957. The hospital is member of the network of Catholic health facilities under the coordination of the UCMB (Uganda Catholic Medical Bureau), undergoing annual accreditation process and enjoying support of representation at national level as well as technical and other support. The legal and registered owner of the hospital is the Catholic Diocese of Gulu.

The Mountain Oret

The imposing mountain Oret, on the foot of which the Hospital is located, carries a message. In Acholi language Oret means “mountain of the wind”, as we have wind and rain in abundance here. But the mountain is also called Jalabub. It is an Arabic name, meaning again “mountain of the wind”. In the past, Arab traders came exactly to this place to collect tusks, other goods and human beings. The hospital was erected here by the Comboni Missionaries as a sign of liberation from disease and poverty, where once was slavery and oppression.